Dr Jason Wong is the founder of Brisbane General & Obesity Surgery. He is a skilled general surgeon with expertise in obesity and metabolic surgery, benign oesophagogastric, gallbladder, hernia, advanced and reduced-port laparoscopic surgery. He is also a certified endoscopist.
He trained in New Zealand after his nous for surgery was recognised in his first year working as a doctor, and he was immediately accepted into the competitive surgical training program the following year. He completed his training in 2014, during which he won awards for Best Registrar and a Lorenzo Cappussotti Travelling Fellowship to present cancer research at an international conference in Vienna.
In 2015, he completed further sub-specialist training in Oesophagogastric and Bariatric Surgery at Auckland City Hospital, before moving to Australia in 2016 where he was the inaugural fellow at Redcliffe Hospital.
Dr Wong is well-known for his easy-going, friendly and caring nature. He has a holistic approach to care and the ability to relate well to people by explaining complex concepts in a simple way. He is modern in his approach to medicine and surgery. He is a skilled and meticulous surgeon, paying attention to detail and achieving technical mastery; traits learnt from his school days as a top pianist for his age group.
He is a surgical thinker and innovator, and he has also pioneered several surgical techniques including:
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – University of Otago 2007
- Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) – University of Otago 2002
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Surgical Anatomy – University of Otago 2009
- Surgical Director of Brisbane General & Obesity Surgery
- Senior Staff Specialist – Redcliffe Hospital
- Director of Surgical Training – Redcliffe Hospital
- Chairperson of North West Bariatric Group
- Visiting Surgeon – North West Private Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon – Mater Private Hospital Brisbane
- Visiting Surgeon – Brisbane Private Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon – St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon – Peninsula Private Hospital